Pages

Sunday, December 15, 2013

A Celebratory Feast


There is something euphoric about that moment when you walk out of your last class following a last final.  You want to just up and click your heals and shout out. Of course I did none of these things, but I did have a smile plastered to my face for the rest of the day.

So, how did I celebrate? I had a feast! Well kind of. First, I stopped by the always convent vending machines at school and purchased my Grandma’s chocolate, chocolate chip cookie and a Dr. Pepper. Those two items got me through some tough times this semester.  Which explains why I couldn’t lose those last 10 pounds.  Anyways, the feasting did not stop there. Next, I stopped by my most favorite restaurant, Pita Jungle and loaded up on humus, chicken, pita bread, and of course steamed veggie’s to offset the Dr. Pepper and cookies.  It’s been a few days and I am still full. Yum!


I normally don’t overindulge but this has been a pretty intense 4 months (and who are we kidding, there is something about food and women). Not only did I take way more credits than any sane person would, I also agreed to help out a past Geology Professor by speaking at a Geological Conference in Denver, that took place back in October. No I am not a geology major. I had done a lab that she wanted me to present in a 15 minute PowerPoint presentation/ question/answer session. Holy Moly, this was the scariest, most out of my comfort zone thing I have ever done.

Why did I do it? Well, I told myself a year and a half ago, when I decided to set out on this new course, that I was not going to let opportunities pass me by. I don’t want to look back and feel I missed out on a growing experience because I was afraid of failure. It’s also important for me that my kids know they can do hard things, that failure has many definitions, one being to never put yourself out there. So, when the teacher asked, I said sure, (It helped that the school funded this little adventure). Did I mention how scared I was? In case you were wondering, I was scared. I have never been around so many extremely intelligent people. I was a little star struck by all of their genius. Muscles and good looks fade but intelligence is forever, I'm just sayin'. I smiled and head nodded a lot.

After my presentation I had the afternoon off to stroll around downtown Denver all by myself. This may sound lame but it was actually fabulous. The weather was beautiful, and historic Denver is beautiful and did I mention I was alone? Staying in a hotel room alone for one night is pretty awesome too.
16th street Mall


Because of the work I did for this I was nominated for the Student Leadership Award for MCC.  We joke around here that they needed to fill their “old lady quota.” Truthfully, I didn’t really want to go to the ceremony. I felt a little out of place, but then I remembered why I had given the presentation in the first place.  So I went. I was only a little uncomfortable when they were talking about me, (I don’t like to be the center of attention, nor talked about). All in all, it was good for me. All of this that I am doing, school, writing, putting myself out there on my blog, stretching myself, doing hard things… is good for me. I have to remind myself of this from time to time.



This pic reminds me of that episode of Seinfeld when Jerry is dating the woman that looks scary in bad lighting. Yeah, I have no idea why I look like a raccoon.


So, my semester is over. Straight A’s 3 semesters running, by the way. (What is that sound you are hearing? Oh, it's me tooting my own horn. :) I now have my associates and I am ready to focus on some other things for a little while.  And maybe lose those last 10 pounds, who knows?



No comments:

Post a Comment