Pages

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Sometimes a salad just won't do.

 Today’s post is just going to be a bit of rambling. If you are not in the mood to read a bit of nonsense, I am warning you now to go find something else to do. It is a beautiful day here in Arizona, a walk would be lovely.

Having just eaten my way through Manhattan, I have rededicated myself to salads for a while. Oh, how I envy salad lovers. Now, don’t get me wrong, I like a good salad from time to time, but this salad everyday thing is killing me. I have tried to mix it up with other healthy choices, but sometimes you just want a cheeseburger, or a beagle with cream cheese and jam. (I blame my niece’s husband for getting me hooked on those again.  They were my passion in high school).

Yesterday my sister wanted us girls to get together and put some final touches on the family reunion that is coming up next month here in Arizona. It is going to be such fun, by the way, (western theme, visiting old ghost towns, Sedona, a swap meet competition, the whole nine yards). I am in charge of decorations for the talent show/family dinner, and the day trip up north. They knew not to put me in charge of the food. I am good at eating the food, not necessarily making it.

We decided to meet for lunch because we all have to eat, right? My suggestion was, because I always have good intentions, a salad place. Rumbi’s? I love Rumbis! For those of you who don’t know, it’s a Hawaiian restaurant. They put enough bad stuff in their salads to satisfy me, yet they are relatively healthy. 




So, do I order a salad when I am face to face with the cashier? Of course not. I order the teriyaki bowl. I did order brown rice, so I do get points for that.

I hope this character flaw doesn’t bleed into other aspects of my life. I do love to indulge, to not miss out on anything. So, when faced with a yummy teriyaki bowl, my thought process goes something like this…

Oh, I love teriyaki bowls.

But a salad is what you need. You came for the salad.

I love teriyaki bowls.

Yes you do, but do you know how many carbs are in that bowl? And, what about those 5 pounds you gained last weekend?

But I may not get this chance again to eat a yummy teriyaki bowl. There may be a shortage on rice, or that yummy sauce. The restaurant could go out of business. I may end up living the rest of my life having never eaten a teriyaki bowl at Rumbi’s again!

Oh, when you put it that way, you had better order that teriyaki bowl right this minute.

Unfortunately, this conversation does coincide with other aspects of my life…. shopping comes to mind. I can’t tell you how many times I have walked into a store telling myself I will just pick up one item, then leave with three. Books too. I will sit down to read for just 15 minutes or an hour and before I know it the day is passed. I have to rush and get my house picked up before my family gets home so it looks as if I slaved away all day being productive.

Well, today is a new day, and this is a new morning. But, boy, don’t waffles sound really good right now? ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment