Pages

Thursday, November 28, 2013

The Calm Before The Storm



It’s a bit of an oxymoron to consider Thanksgiving as a relaxing day for a mother of four, but for me this year that is exactly what it has been. We have left our lives behind for a few days and headed to the in-laws in the mountains of Northern Arizona. The only thing I had to do to get ready for the day of overeating was cut up some fruit. Pretty cushy, yep, I know.

With Christmas parties to plan and all of the paper deadlines that are approaching and finals starting in just over a week, I needed today to just stop, STOP! my crazy life and spend time with those that have been a bit neglected over this past semester. With 19 credit hours bleeding away all of my time, I have not been able to be the mom, wife, sister, and friend that I have been in the past. Lets be honest, you cannot be good at everything all at once.  I am not naïve to think that my attending school full time has not caused those around me to feel a little short changed. This was one of the reasons it took me a while to jump back into college life.

Don’t get me wrong, there are definitely good things that have come out of my educational endeavors, and not just for me. First of all, my kids no longer think that their father is the smart parent. They actually come to me, ME! for help with their homework. This is huge! (I have to admit their dad is a bit of a genius). Another benefit is that I am instilling in them the importance of going to college (though they are a bit snobbish about it being a community college. I have to remind them that it still counts). Lastly, my kids see me as a person, not just the lady that is expected to orbit around them making their lives easier.  

After my finals I am taking a semester off before starting up at ASU. During that time I will be focusing on my writing and my family. Today I received a little taste of what is in store. I won’t lie; it’s going to be pretty awesome.  (Man, am I thankful for this crazy crew of mine). In the mean time, happy Thanksgiving everyone! I hope you all found the time to enjoy the company of those you love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment